Tuesday, September 28, 2010

it's been a while, crocodile.



while roaming the ballard farmer's market with my bag full of produce, eggs, goat's milk (!), I took a trip into the kid's toy store - the dinosaurs in the window snagged my attention, reeled me in. I don't know if it's just been a while since I stepped foot in a toy store, or if those toys were particularly cool to me, of if I was just high from the sunshine and fresh veggies, but man I wanted to play with everything.
I showed characteristic restraint and settled for one old school noise maker: a tin alligator that clicks loudly when you push on it's throat. I used to have this toy!, I shared with the younger than me by like 9 years cashier, same lady who was nice enough to let me set my giant bag down by the counter and dispose for me my slimy pear core, I loved it! I have a fond memory of sitting in the back seat of my parent's car clicking away like there's no tomorrow, followed by a not so fond memory of not being able to find it soon there after, worriedly searching the nooks and crannies of the car to find my toy while my dad looked on trying his best to placate me who then and still now was never one to lose something so when she does it drives her batty.
They probably hid it from you.
Yeah, I know! It took me years to figure that one out. They coulda just told me to only click outside or in my room. Maybe I'll prank call them and leave clicking sounds on their answering machine.
Ha! Well, enjoy your new toy.

oh yes, I will. I biked one handed most of the way home, clicking at cars and pedestrians, the cool of the smooth metal warming in my grip. clicking at participants in the race for the cure walk, to no one in particular. It's been a while, crocodile.
Glad you weren't any later, said the alligator.
Yeah, me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment